Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Pine - The Pine

I've been wanting to post this for a while but for whatever reason just haven't gotten around to it. The Pine are a band who you'd suspect to be around in the early nineties based on the sound of their music and recordings. They were actually around from about 1999 until 2005, but if they'd been playing shows a decade earlier it probably could've been with bands like The Hated, Rites of Spring, and Evergreen. They're mostly pretty fast-paced and energetic emo with a lot of melody, but they also slow it down sometimes ("Face Drawings" and "Shovelglove" stand out). The thing about them that will really stand out though, is their signature vocals. I've never heard another band with similar-sounding vocals, and I can only describe them as eerie. They may come off as whiny, and they kind of are, but not in that flatulent, self-important way that just sucks. It's more of a moan that is perfect for what they were doing. I've really been meaning to listen to the rest of their discography but I'm so stuck on this that I haven't really been motivated to. This album is pretty long because it's their first seven-inch and full-length combined and re-released by a different label.

"This is my place. This is my face. This is my time. Stop wasting my time..."



1. Cubicle
2. Ten Years Old
3. Slug
4. You're The Only One I Hate
5. Wearing Thin
6. Face Drawings
7. My Two Feet
8. Windmills
9. Shovelglove
10. Charred
11. Running On Empty
12. Forced Gratitude
13. Hangnail
14. Numb