Saturday, May 14, 2011

Grave, Shovel... Let's Go! - Demo

This was a super sweet screamo band from Germany, mostly on the softer side relative to a lot of their European peers in the emo-violence scene. They have kind of a zangy sound a lot of the times when they're doing softer stuff, and it transfers well into their more chaotic parts. They can also get really clean (i.e. Mica) and it sounds great. They're just a really honest-sounding emo band, true to the genre.

I'm glad I found out about this band. The way it went was I took a chance on a show for a German screamo/hardcore band I'd never heard of called Trainwreck a long time ago, and ended up loving it and they became one of my favorites of the time. I read about everything they were doing on MySpace after their tour had concluded, hoping they'd say they were coming back (they never did come back to the west coast). I saw this one flier for a local show they were playing, and a lot of German fliers tend to have descriptions of the band, and Grave, Shovel... Let's Go! was playing this show, and I decided to check them out based on their description and I'm so glad I did. Kind of just a chance encounter. Unfortunately, they didn't do a whole lot. Just this demo, a split 7" and a split 12" (those are both really good, especially the 7"). But the 10 songs they put out are enough for me.

"Heart in the hand. My life is your life."



1. Stopp Motoren Under Overfarten
2. You're My Best, Always
3. This Basement Flooding
4. Mica