Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sed Non Satiata / Daïtro

Sometimes I'll go on excessive new-music-hunting bouts, and in general when I download a band's music, I try to get their discography. One thing I love about bands like Daïtro, Envy, and Funeral Diner, who do a lot of split records, is all the little bits of new music I get to hear while obtaining all of the focus band's music. Admittedly, not all of it is good, but a lot of the times you become acquainted with a gem of a band you may not have heard were it not for the split. Sed Non Satiata (French for "Still Not Satisfied") is one such gem. I already knew I liked Daïtro (and I actually heard them on their split with Raein first), so I was getting all of their music, and was surprisingly blown away when I ended up favoring Sed Non Satiata's side to Daïtro's! Don't get me wrong, Daïtro exhibits everything you'd expect from the coveted Euro emo-violence outfit. Excellent displays of emotion through their music, heartbroken vocals that don't seem down & out, superb compositions... but Sed Non Satiata's effortless ambiance fitted by blue vocalizations seamlessly interwoven with downcast fits of screaming and dissonance all packed into seven-minute displays of heart are what catch my ears on this split. Both bands hail from France and nearly all their writing is in French, which I'm a glutton for hearing, even though I don't understand a word of it. I like to treat acts with vocals in a foreign language as almost purely instrumental, letting the vocals become just another instrument to display feeling. Lucky for us, plenty of bands from outside the United States (often including Daïtro) will translate their lyrics to English. Unfortunately, I don't own a copy of this record so I couldn't tell you what they're saying, or even whether it's translated or not! Nonetheless, I recommend you check out this split and enjoy both bands' talents.

"
Les hommes sans visage ont investi les rues, ils trainent..."

I tried some translators, and I think that means, roughly, "The faceless men took to the streets, and they marched..."




Sed Non Satiata
1. Less Hommes Sans Visage
2. Des Masques
3. Interlude
4. Des Ruines
Daïtro
5. De L'eau Coule Sous Les Ponts
6. Place Tolozan
7. Nous Ne Participons Pas tous Ici A La Même Utopie
8. Un Fleau Pour Un Autre