Sunday, April 24, 2011

Values Here - Adios

Locals Week Day 7 - Values Here

Unlike every other band I've posted over the past week, I didn't get to grow with this band. I actually just showed up at their last show and saw them by luck. It was a really good one. Final Fight was the touring band, Values Here and Can I Say both played their last shows, and Red Son and Day After Day played, too. It was at a long-gone, sorely-missed venue too: The One Place. That show is just full of great things in memory. I bought my first piece of vinyl at this show, before I even had a record player (Final Fight / Life Long Tragedy 7" because Final Fight impressed me so much). Values Here impressed me too, so I bought this farewell EPCD. I also got a Red Son shirt and a Day After Day demo, and leaving the show I felt like I totally scored, having never bought anything from any small-time bands. The show was supposed to be Can I Say and Day After Day's split 7" release show, but they didn't have it ready in time. I bought that at the next show I went to where they had it. This show was really formative for me and music. Values Here played a Descendents cover (Bikeage) which is what made me listen to "Milo Goes To College" for the first time. Quite a while later when I was interviewing Deadair (two guys from this were in it) for my zine, they told me they learned that cover in the van on the way to the show when they were coming back from Las Vegas. I have to wonder if they played it well, given that I didn't know what it was supposed to sound like at the time. Sounded good to me!

"I'm the king of this gloom, but my scars show through; reminding us of the knife that went down in our tombs."



1. The Stranger*
2. Tulsa
3. Track Down And Kill What Swallows You Up

* Guest vocals courtesy of Drew Wilkinson of Run With The Hunted-fame